Out with the bad, in with the good. Facial masks have been used since ancient times to improve the health of the skin, and clay masks in particular are a must-have for those with oily or acne-prone skin.
Why you ask? Simply because the absorbing and exfoliating properties of clay masks are perfect for deep cleaning pores and curbing the excessive production of oil, eliminating the root causes of acne.
Many face masks contain clay to absorb impurities and help heal your skin. But not all clay is the same – all of them have different specialties. Here we outline the star powers of our favourite clays that you’ll find in our Detox MUD:
Helps to draw out toxins and impurities replacing them with minerals such as Oxygen, Silica, Calcium and Potassium, which can all improve the circulation of the skin, remove dead skin cells, and give the skin an overall healthy glow.
- Its super absorbing capabilities suck up all the excess sebum your skin produces, leaving the skin dry and smooth
- It has electric properties that, when mixed with water, attract toxins out of your face and into the clay like a magnet. This also goes for any skin ailments involving bacteria and fungus like psoriasis and eczema
- Since bentonite clay is a highly porous substance, it can absorb more than its initial mass, including any swelling from excess sodium in your face
- With its tightening, acne-clearing, and impurity-absorbing abilities, you can probably tell why bentonite is a go-to for any skin concerns
Australian Green Clay
- Green clay is your go-to for exfoliation and pore-tightening on top of oil-absorption
- The green color comes from the the amount of decomposed plant material and iron oxide and is a determining factor in the quality of the clay
- It’s so absorbent that not only does it drink up oils, it also pulls blood towards the surface of your skin, giving you a bit of a tingling sensation as it boosts circulation. This is why your face might be a little red after using the mask
- Zeolite is very negatively charged and most toxins in your skin are positively charged, so this clay is the perfect magnet for sopping up all those impurities—sebum plugs, blackheads, and oil around hair follicles
- It doesn’t leave you dry because of its elasticity and texture-improving effects. It’s gentle enough for daily use in small amounts
Different face masks use different types of clays and they all come in a variety of colours and forms. As with any other product, make sure you choose a clay mask that’s suitable for your skin type
SHARE THIS POST